Hydrocodone is known to combat severe pain. It is mostly combined with acetaminophen and other drugs. Sadly, these drugs contain harmful substances that have side effects. These side effects range from headaches to stomach aches, among others. As a result, people use various techniques to remove the harmful chemicals from the hydrocodone concoction. A perfect example is the cold water extraction of hydrocodone process.
Why Do People Perform the Cold Water Extraction?
As earlier stated, hydrocodone contains harmful substances which cause side effects. The cold water extraction process helps remove these harmful substances. Studies indicate hydrocodone can be harmful if taken in high doses and can permanently damage your liver, leading to deaths. The cold water extraction process is recommended for adults who take between 1g-4g of the hydrocodone concoction.
The Cold Water Extraction Preparation Process
Basically, the hydrocodone concoction contains soluble and nonsoluble substances. The hydrocodone concoction comprises of opioids, aspirin, APA, and ibuprofen. Opioids are soluble in water. The cold water extraction process works because opioids dissolve in water. You have to crush any capsule. You simply need to pour the content into the water. Tablets and pills should be crushed. 10c/50f is the recommended temperature to extract APA and aspirin.
How to Conduct a Cold Water Extraction of Hydrocodone:
- Crush all the tablets or open the capsules. Try your level best to reduce powder loss. Secondly, use a filter to strain the mixture.
- Dissolve the powder or capsule content in warm water. Ensure the water isn’t too hot or you risk destroying the opioid molecule. This step determines if the cold water extraction of hydrocodone process will be a success or not. Pour warm water into a container with a bid surface area. This allows the mixture to cool off quickly. Continuously stir the mixture until it completely dissolves.
- Allow the mixture to cool off at room temperature for roughly 20 minutes. The mixture should be allowed to cool on its own or you risk destroying the codeine within the mixture.
- Put the container into a freezer once it attains the room temperature. This will cool further the water solution. This is where the entire process happens. Don’t let the solution completely freeze.
- The next step entails filtration. You can use aeropress, a filter paper, coffee filter and cheesecloth, among others. Place the filter on top of a glass and wrap a tape around it. Slowly pour the solution into a cup of water. Avoid touching the filter because you might break the filter and be forced to redo the entire filtration process.
- You will get a marshmallow-like substance once the filtration process is complete. You can add some water to the marshmallow residue and redo the entire process. This process isn’t necessary. You can redo it if you have some time to spare.
- You can comfortably drink your filtered mixture. This mixture is safe and is free from all the harmful substances causing side effects. Some people find this solution bitter. You can mix this substance with something sweet if you deem necessary.